Sunday, April 25, 2010

Viva La Valentino.

Valentino: The Last Emperor.
Director: Matt Tyrnauer
Starring: Valentino Garavani, Giancarlo Giammetti, Giorgio Armani, Karl Lagerfield, Anna Wintour.
I loved this documentary. My goodness what a different world! The world of couture. To think I used to want to be a part of it. I now enjoy watching it from afar. 'Valentino: The Last Emperor' follows the incredible designer over a 2 year period leading up to his 45th anniversary collection. We now know this was to be his last collection and as with all the other greats, 'Valentino' is no longer designed by Valentino himself. This film quickly becomes more about him in his private moments and less about the strikingly debonair and poised Valentino I have always seen on the runway. His Partner in life and love Giancarlo Giammetti is lovely. Valentino would be a difficult man to work for, let alone live with and be around 24 hours a day. Giancarlon mutters 'Mamma Mia' under his breath on a number of occaisions. Second to the dresses, I loved Valentino's dogs. He has 5 pugs!! We all know I love a pug. There is one scene where he has a hissy fit because someone left pins on the cutting room floor. He exclaimed "My Dogs are more important than ALL of this'. Oh the dresses! Valentino has always been famous for designing the most exquisite evening wear. He has rarely followed any trends, instead concentrating on creating the most feminine and lavish dresses I have ever seen. He dressed Jackie O, Princess Diana, Audrey Hepburn and in Later years Keira Knightly, Gwenyth Paltrow, Elle Macpherson, to name a few.
I highly recommend this to any follower of fashion. It even made captain cold heart me clap my hands when he paraded loads of white wedding dresses. I want one.







No comments:

Post a Comment