Thursday, April 29, 2010

Boy.

Boy
Director: Taika Cohen
Starring: Te Aho Aho Eketone-Whitu, James Rolleston.
Wow. Wow. My heart filled with so much joy, so much sadness and so many warm fuzzies as I watched this film. What a brilliant movie. 'Boy' is a heart warming and heartbreaking film about a boy's love for his father and his blind faith in a Man who is so flawed. The simple and rather slow-paced story is touched with so many humorous moments, you feel like laughing and crying at the same time. The kids in this film are amazing. Rocky, Boy's little Brother just stole my heart and made me want to reach out and hug him. His belief that he has secret powers and is too strong for this earth are revealed to be born of a tragic event that he rationalises with the idea that he is magical. In one scene he points his fingers at a local bum who suddenly falls over. "Sorry" Rocky explains..."I think I did that".
More than anything Boy reminded me of being a kiwi kid. I went to a great school . Half of the 100 students were Maori and many of our lessons and especially music were bilingual. The first song in 'Boy' took me back to my rainbow carpeted classroom and my favourite song Oma Raapeti (Run Rabbit).
I really enjoyed this film. I have loved my holiday in NZ and this movie topped off a lovely time in good old Aoteroa.

No comments:

Post a Comment