Saturday, April 10, 2010

Pretty Nothing.

I am tired and have watched a few movies. This may be brief as I found this movie...boring.
An Education
Director: Lone Scherfig
Costume Designer: Odile Dicks-Mireaux
Starring: Carrey Mulligan, Alfred Mollina.
Did everyone like this movie? I'd like to know. I was very lucky in 2009 to be in the vicinity of an Academy Award winning Director and got to watch all the films that were considered for awards before they were officially released. It was pure joy. I did have rather a dull few months after that as I had seen everything already and had nothing to look forward to. I went to a few films again just for the hell of it My fav was The Prophet...see it see it, Tahir Rakim is amazing. The one film in the pile I didnt watch and also missed at the cinema was 'An Education'. It just didn't grab me. My instincts were right. It's one of those films that I think is pretty much covered in the trailer and there is little else to discover. Carrey Mulligan is very sweet; a fine featured elfin wisp of a girl. I'll be interested to see her in Wall street and also the remake of My Fair Lady. Alfred Mollina was the highlight for me. Gosh I love him. He is so watchable. But the story was just too predictable.
As I said, Im tired. Maybe I should watch it when Im not running on empty.
Lovely costumes. I always think that the 50's is quite an easy period to dress though.

3 comments:

  1. Liked it but didn't love it. Thought there was something really "off" about him, very creepy. Especially the banana scene, was expecting him to say "I'm kidding" but didn't. Ewh.
    Was unconvinced that the parents would so easily accept him as a suitor for their 16 yr old daughter.
    A good morale tale for how easily one can get swept away by the fantasy and lose themself in another person. May not be the first time it's been done but still a worthwhile message.
    Thought the choice of words for the final voice over were a little weak.
    Carey is divine, thought she gave an excellent performance and look forward to seeing more of her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. There def was something creepy about him and the whole set up. And yes, the final voice over was a bit 'whatever'. She is one to watch though. She reminds me a bit of Mia (Possibly the short hair!)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, they both have that whole pixie look down pat!
    P.S I LOVE the name POLLYWOOD, how perfect is that!? Brilliant stuff darl, brilliant.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete