Wednesday, April 28, 2010

It wasn't foolish to show Daniel's bottom.

Flashbacks Of A Fool
Director: Baillie Walsh
Starring: Daniel Craig, Harry Eden, Mark Strong.
I'm not sure about this one. I think if I'd read the script I would have liked it but it just didnt seem to come together well. The problem is the film is set in the present and also in the late 70's and it just doesn't move from one era to the other seamlessly. Brief synopsis: A washed up Uk actor Joe news that a childhood friend has passed away. Before we can feel anything for Joe (Daniel Craig) and his loss it flashes back to him in his youth. We see how a series of unfortunate events and sexual awakenings affect his life forever. For me what made it very hard to watch was the music. It added to the disjointed feel of it all. Throughout the film the director chose the oddest tracks at the oddest times. From scene to scene the music would jump from the awful Roxy music to a searing track by Vivaldi. Music should compliment a scene and not draw me out of it. I loved some of the costumes. You cant really go wrong with the 70's. It's always fun to see a good pair of flares and some hideous platforms.

No comments:

Post a Comment