Saturday, April 17, 2010

Perfect Pedro

All About My Mother (Todo sobre mi madre)
Director: Pedro Almodovar
Starring: Cecilia Roth, Penelope Cruz.
Sometimes I just feel like watching an old favourite. It has been a few years since I have sat down and watched this. Considering Pedro Almodavar pops into my head probably most days, it seems only right that I watch and re-watch his films. All About My Mother is such a good film. I love it more and more each time. It's a slow burner and an odd little tale but it pinches some tiny little nerve in my heart and stays with me for some time. Like all Almodavar films, the characters are colourful, the story line is somewhat absurd and yet every conversation, every twist and every emotion is more real that the most true to life gritty films. His backdrops are always so delicious. I could pause each frame and just look at what the set decorator has hung up on the wall, or piled up in the corner of the kitchen. It is so bright and so Spanish. With his characters it is almost as though Pedro speaks for the slightly uncouth, the disadvantaged and the sidelined. A few of his films feature transvestites and transexuals. Instead of making a story out of their sexuality, he merely tells us the human story that of course every man and woman or man dressed as a woman would go through. I'd rather not disclose any of the storyline. There are no huge revelations in it but sometimes I think a film like this is best seen with no knowledge of it at all. Oh and an example of how Pedro pops into my head: I showed my Mum my fav bra from Paris today and said "It's like a Pedro Almodovar Bra". Should I learn Spanish and just move there and beg Pedro to let me work on one of his films? The thought has crossed my mind many times. Lets see "Adoro Pedro....."

No comments:

Post a Comment