Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Wellywood.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (Män som hatar kvinnor)
Director: Niels Arden Oplev
Starring:Michael Nyqvist, Noomi Rapace.

I am in Wellington, NZ at the moment visiting my Mum. We went to this film last night. I had seen the preview and knew it was based on a bestselling book that was originally titled 'Men Who Hate Women'. I think the Latter title is more appropriate. This is a film with some serious sadistic male characters. I don't know if it was the best film to see with my Mum. It's never easy to sit through horrific rape scenes with your Mother next to you.!
The film follows a disgraced journalist and a 24yr old gothic hacker girl as they try to uncover a 40year old murder mystery. The plot is really intriguing and the momentum well paced. As with many book adaptions though, I don't think the director knew what to cut and what to keep. As a result the film is easily 30mins too long. After a grizzly and shocking revelation the movie could have ended well. Instead, the director draws out other, less interesting plot lines that left me feeling flat and bored.
The two lead actors are absolutely amazing. Noomi Rapace is both beautiful and intimidating. A scene where she seeks revenge on her abusive lawyer is air punchingly satisfying. She kicks Arse!
The icy cold sweden is a great back drop. I felt cold watching Lisbeth race around the cool dark streets on her motorcycle.
I love a murder mystery as much as the next person but the details of the murders in this film are brutal. I can imagine the book is even more so. Why would I want to read a book about torturing women? I would certainly never read a book entitled 'Men who Hate Women'. I think I'm too sensitive at the moment. I need to harden up. Or just watch some cartoons.

On a costume note. Lisbeth's costume was straight out of a comic book. Her heavy leather jacket, spray on Jeans, Harajuku pvc boots and loads of piercings. I loved it. Similar winners came to mind...



No comments:

Post a Comment