Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What movie am I reviewing? Interview with a twilight Legend?

Legends Of The Fall.
Director: Edward Zwick
Starring: Brad Pitt, Brad Pitt's hair, Aiden Quinn, Henry Thomas, Julia Ormond and the lovely Anthony Hopkins.
Ok this movie is pretty cheesy. It is one of my guilty pleasures, I must admit. I read the book as a teenager and was always very much in love with Tristan Ludlow. And yes Tristan Ludlow is played by Brad Pitt. The thing is today, I am not a fan of Brad Pitt. He seems to posture about as'Brad Pitt' and has forgotten how to lose himself in a role. He's a movie star who I find self aware and quite painful to watch. (I did, however, enjoy him in Inglorious Basterds). When Legends Of The Fall came out, Brad had just done Interview With A Vampire. It is no secret that my obsession with vampires as a wayward teen far proceeded the latest Twilight Saga. I was obsessed. I loved Anne Rice and LOVED the tales of Lestat and Louis.As a result: I loved Brad. I have a vivid memory of my 16 year old self driving my Mum's car on a stormy night. I looked outside at the raging Wellington wind and WILLED Interview With A Vampire to be true. I promised myself I would seek out real vampires! What a teenager. What a loser!! Back to Brad: In the mid 90's he was a promising and gritty actor. Brad's run of films at this time was Kalifornia, Interview With The Vampire, Legends Of The Fall, Se7en & Twelve Monkeys. All great performances.
Brad (and vampires) aside I have also always been such a big fan of Anthony Hopkins who play's the three Ludlow boy's Father. He reminds me of my late Granddad Bernard Smyth. Granddad used to read children's stories on the national radio and Anthony Hopkin's voice has always reminds me of him. Legend Of The Fall's plot is epic and the tragedies never end. it's a good old melodramatic romp with a pretty impressive cast. Don't rent it, but if it comes on the telly give it a watch and imagine knocking Brad off, drinking his blood and turning him back into Louis de Pointe du Lac. Yum.



No comments:

Post a Comment