Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Faith Restored

Animal Kingdom
Director: David Michoed
Starring: Ben Mendhelson, Guy Pearce, Joel Edgerton, Sulliivan Stapleton, Jacki Weaver, James Frencheville, Anthony Hayes.
I saw this movie shortly after returning from O.S. I had been very negative about Australian cinema for a while and was just about ready to give up on watching anything. Which was sad as I know so many of the people in the industry and see talent around every corner. It just doesn't seem to fall into the right hands and the funding bodies don't seem to have faith in good solid dramatic scripts that don't involve taking the mickey out of us. And then along came 'Animal Kingdom'. What a movie. I was literally on the edge of my seat for the entire film. The performances were incredible! Jacki weaver as the Matriach of the movie's crime riddled family made me squirm. Her long held kisses with her sons were simply chilling. Guy Pearce's measured collective cop was brilliant. I always enjoy watching his performances and think it's great he still comes home to perform in Australian films. But for me the performance that stuck with me long after the film finished was Ben Mendelsohn's.
He was completely terrirfiing. What got me was so much of his character's terror and power was completely restrained. A simple glance, an uncomfortable silence, even a harmless gay joke all harnessed his gripping power over his family. I really loved this film. Im not going to go into the plot as it is best to just watch it. I could almost go as far as saying it is my favourite film of 2010 so far (no batman's this year yeah?). Congratulations to everyone involved. The rewards will keep coming and will be well earned.


No comments:

Post a Comment