Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Toothache.

Marathon Man
Director: John Schlesinger
Starring: Dustin Hoffman, Laurence Olivier, Roy Scheider.
I watched this movie with my Mum who recommended it. She is a Laurence Olivier fan and loves to tell me how she got his autograph at the theatre in London when she was young.
Marathon man is a great murder mystery about a young history graduate who gets caught up in a jewel heist that is connected to Nazi war crimes and it's survivors. Again, I'd rather not go into the plot too much. I knew very little about this film watching it and I think the less known the better. Laurence Olivier is frightening in it. I've never been a huge fan of Olivier. I would have loved to see him on stage but generally I find his performances too theatrical for the screen. I did love him in Wuthering Heights however. I have always been slightly enamoured with his marriage to Vivien Leigh as she is one of my all time favourites. They must have been such a powerhouse couple. I would have loved to have seen them together in their hey day- very Brad and Ange. I read a funny story about Olivier: When presenting at the Oscars in 1984, he forgot to name the Best Picture nominees. He simply opened the envelope and proclaimed, "Amadeus". Ha ha ha. So silly.
Dustin Hoffman is such a great actor. I really love so many of his films. One of my absolute favourite performances by him is in 'Kramer vs Kramer. I suggest you see it if you haven't already.

No comments:

Post a Comment