Saturday, August 14, 2010

Werewolf House

Director: Nicholas Stoller
Starring: Jonah Hill, Russell Brand, Rose Byrne, Sean 'P Diddy' Combs

Russell Brand was everywhere in the UK. Everywhere. I hated him. I knew nothing of his rise to fame and just witnessed his loutishness (is that a word? Russell the wordsmith may not approve, he is after all an accomplished linguist!). I initially had no intention of seeing this film. I sometimes like to escape the drama in my head (it's dramatic in there) and see something silly so off I went to this film to have a giggle.
This film is very funny. I would go as far to say it MAY go into the vault of films I quote on a regular basis with my pals Sharryn and Victoria. It could become a Step Brothers for me. The storyline is silly: Aaron Green (Jonah Hill) works for a record label run by P-Diddy and is instructed to get the brilliantly unpredictable Brand from London to L.A to perform in a 25th anniversary concert. Brand's character Aldous Snow is Brand. He really doesn't push his acting boundaries very far but surprisingly, I found him hilarious. There is a scene in this film that has to be seen to be believed: The 'Jeffery' smoking scene is quite indescribable and totally hilarious! I literally shrieked with laughter. Jonah Hill on Adrenalin was brilliant. "no no no no no no no no no". ha ha ha ha ha.(make sense? Didn't think so). These new directors and producers like Nicholas Stoller and Judd Aptow are great at showcasing some seriously funny people. I thank them for Seth Rogan, Michael Sera, Jonah Hill, Bill Hader and Jason Segal. And now I thank them for Russell. I still think he's a lout. But he's a damn funny one.
Memorable quotes:
"When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall".
"What you did was very spiteful, but it was also very brave and very honest and I respect you for doing that. But the content of what you said has made me hate you. So there's a layer of respect, admittedly, for your truthfulness, but it's peppered with hate. Hateful respect. "
" I was watching the news one day and I saw footage about, uh, war, and I think it was in Darfur, or Rwanda, or Zimbabwe, or one of 'em, and I thought, 'this isn't right, is it?' And I made some phone calls and it turns out, it isn't."

No comments:

Post a Comment