Friday, May 6, 2011

There's a place for us.

Arthur Laurents- author of West side story died yesterday. I love West Side Story. LOVE it.
This classic stage show was adapted into a film in 1961. It is one of my favourite movies. Aside from Rosemary's baby, it was the first film I noticed the colour scheme and lighting. West Side Story is a re-imagining of the classic Romeo and Juliet. The Montagues are this time 'The Jets' and the Capulets are the hispanic 'Sharks. I always loved the sharks. I loved the costumes and how both worlds were completely different: The Jets all yellow and tan and wholesome, the sharks more sultry in violets and blues.
Natalie Wood is quite possibly one of the most beautiful actresses ever! I also loved her in Rebel Without A Cause. She died very mysteriously. She was on a boat with her long time love Robert Wagner and she somehow fell over board and drowned. They had been arguing about a number of things but mostly about the fact she had had an affair with Warren Beatty when she shot 'Splendour In The Grass'. Who knows what really happened.
I used to pay the piano when I was younger. My poor piano teacher would be bombarded with West Side Story requests:
"Can you teach me 'Somewhere?" "Can you play "Somewhere"? "Can you play Somewhere and sing it too?". I still have my piano book filled with all the songs.
P.s...it is quite possibly the cheesiest film I love. You've been warned.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BQMgCy-n6U


No comments:

Post a Comment