Thursday, May 26, 2011

Kirsten Dunst wins best actress at Cannes.

What an interesting end to the Lars Von Trier saga at this years Cannes. Did you hear about it?
This year Lars Von Trier's new feature Melancholia was up for all the big awards at the Cannes film festival.
Lars spoke at a press release for Melancholia. He went completely off topic and confessed he is a Nazi. He went on to say he empathised with Hitler and thought that Israeli Jews are annoying.
Lars always tries to get a rise out of the press but this time it went down like a lead balloon and he was subsequently ejected from Cannes and banned forever!
I think this is a bit of a knee jerk reaction but his comments were incredibly stupid and inflammatory.
I hope he learnt his lesson. There have been huge disagreements over this ejection. Some say Cannes overacted and some say he should never be allowed back. I think it was fair to ask him to leave but Cannes in not a political or moral platform, it is a film festival and many directors and actors have said equally stupid things in the past.

Interestingly, Kirsten Dunst then went on to win best actress at the festival. She has completely distanced herself from Lars and his comments and said she thought he was idiotic.

Lars Von Trier is a bit of a Cannes darling. His films never cease to invoke controversy and are often touted as 'the one to watch'. In 2000 Lars won the coveted Palme D'or for Dancer In The Dark.  Conversely, his last film Antichrist caused a complete uproar as people booed, hissed and walked out.
SPOLIER ALERT: The final scene in the film see Charlotte Gainsbourg cutting off her own clitoros with a blunt pair of scissors.

I hated Antichrist. 'Hate' is word I know Lars would love to hear when describing his films so perhaps I'll say I 'Nothinged' Antichrist. I felt nothing but disdain for it's characters and their journey.
It was well documented that he made that film in the depths of depression. He admits it was a therapeutic experience. It may have been cathartic for him perhaps, but  it was apparently a ghastly experience for everyone around him.
I worked with the cinematographer Anthony Dodd Mantle who shoots  all of Lar's films. He said Antichrist was a crippling experience. For all the drama surrounding it, I found it to be dull, slow and more sad than shocking. I was deeply disappointed.

Lars Von Trier is responsible for some of the most emotionally taxing experiences I have had while watching a film. Both Breaking The Waves and Dancer In The Dark left me in a heap on the floor. When I watched Dancer In The Dark I was literally on the floor, sobbing. I have never seen it again but it is one of my all time favourite films. It was Bjork's first and last film. She swore she would never ever do a film again.

I hope Melancholia wins me back. I've read mixed reviews. I am not a fan of Kirsten Dunst. I'm yet to see a performance that equals her Claudia in Interview With A Vampire. The trailer looks interesting, slightly melodramatic.
Here is the trailer and also Lar's comments that sent him packing.
xxx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LayW8aq4GLw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_xsm46s2Gg


No comments:

Post a Comment