Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Frock Dreams. Sandy Powell.

One of my all time favourite designers is Sandy Powell. Her ability to find a modern and unique twist on period costumes is simply amazing. So often she will add something completely contemporary to an otherwise straight forward replica of what was worn in that time and it becomes completely alive and new. It's a bold move. Some designers try to do the same and often make something so completely stylised, it loses it's place in history.
I've never really wanted to design period costumes but Sandi is an inspiration. I feel like writing her a letter and just asking her if I can be around her. Weirdo alert.
It seems she has aligned herself with Director Martin Scorsese. I can imagine it would be such a cohesive and seamless relationship after so many years together. I bet she just knows what he loves and in turn, I'm sure Marty gives her a lot of creative freedom.
I too dream of working alongside one Director time and time again and building a portfolio of works that portray both mine and his/hers vision.
Ok so I'm 2 feature films down....Only 36 more to go and i'll be in Sandi's territory:


























1 comment:

  1. She is my hero. Quick spelling correction though dude, it's Sandy not Sandi xx

    ReplyDelete