Monday, May 16, 2011

Nowhere.......Dakota Fannings little Sister Elle is lovely and she didn't make me feel weird. Dakota was a better actor than most at 3 and that's creepy.

Somewhere
Director: Sofia Coppola
Starring Stephen Dorff, Elle Fanning.
Sophia Coppola takes her time. She is the master of languid, laconic scenes. Lost in translation would not be able to capture the boredom and displacement of Scarlett without this time taking. Nor would she have been able to recreate the opulent and pretentious life of Marie Antoinette without her beautiful slow and measured scenes.

It is not lost on me that Sofia obviously is someone who too, can take time with whatever she does.
She has no doubt lived a life that isn't dissimilar to her character Cleo in this film. Sofia would have had the film-world at her feet and her Dad's camera and guidance in hand. She has built up a small but very recognisable body of work. I am a fan of her incredible ability to capture the enchanting things in this world and also the dis-enchantment of young women in it.

What worries me with Sofia is this: Is Sofia Coppola an amazing auteur with impeccable taste and an ability to capture an exact mood with minimal dialogue? Or is she someone who's fortune and lifestyle have afforded her to shoot what she can relate to? Is her view one that is beautiful but essentially pretty vacuous? I think Sofia sees the world through a narrow lens. That can be a good thing when creating a unique style but in this film I saw an ugly side.

I think that Somewhere is not a good film. I loved Lost In translation. I delighted in Marie Antoinette despite it's intensely diluted storyline. I still use many visual references from Virgin Suicides. This movie will not stick with me.

Here is a quick summary of the plot which is divulged the first 10 minutes and then drawn out for 2 hours:
Rich drug taking movie star Stephen Dorff has no meaning in his life as he mopes around the iconic Chateau Marmont.
His daughter Cleo comes to stay.
They hang out.
He finds meaning.
He Smiles.
The end.

While I find her other films ethereal, languid and dreamy. I found this one vague, tepid and empty.
And lets face it: L.A isn't beautiful  and what I want from Miss Coppola is ultimately something quite beautiful both inside and out.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment