Friday, May 6, 2011

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

My go to cheesy teenage film of choice will always be Ferris Bueller's day off.

When I was little, on the odd occasion I used to go and stay with my Dad. It was always quite a surreal experience for me. My Dad was this cool, larger than life personality who picked me up from school to have lunch and returned me 3 hours late. He would take me to music shops and buy me cassettes of his favourite tunes. We would go to fancy restaurants and I'd order a steak and eat 2 square Cm's of it.  I'd hang out at his big fancy advertising office and let me use all the rad felt pens and draw on giant pieces of art paper. He was this exciting funny man who I always was in slight awe of.

I remember when my Mum went overseas I stayed with him for a few weeks which was the longest span of time I had spent with him. The funniest memory I have of that was my school lunches. I used to open my lunch box to find remnants of a lavish dinner party. Beautiful Orange Duck wrapped in tin foil or a giant piece of chocolate Gateau.
I am digressing from Ferris.
When I would visit Papa for just a day I would often get to watch a movie. Most times I would get the same two videos from the Kelburn video shop. One was WWF wrestling and one was Ferris Buellers Day Off. I would watch it again and again. I loved every scene and anticipated every moment.

Ferris Bueller made me so excited about ditching school. I remember the first time I officially 'cut class'. 
I was a late bloomer on the naughty front. It wasn't until I was about 15. I was in love with a boy called Christian who was my unofficial boyfriend. We used to go to the botanical gardens at midnight. We would climb to the top of these large hedges and lie on top of them and talk about Lou Reed and Poetry. HA!
One night I got home to find a Bjork CD on my bed. Christian had dropped it in my window. I hadn't listened to her before. He said I reminded him of her. I was in love.

Christian told me to cut class on a Friday. I was so excited. I went to school in my uniform with a change of clothes in my bag. We used to go to this gym up the road for our P.E classes. After P.E myself and a group of girls walked back to school. I fell behind and ducked behind a fence to escape. I remember my heart was beating so fast.
I walked up the hill to Christian's house and remember being so afraid I was being followed.
We spent the afternoon watching Apocalypse Now. I didn't like it or understand it. But I pretended to.
That night I went home and couldn't look at my Mum. I felt exhilarated and alive.

My day was no way near as exciting as Ferris Bueller's day off. It did mark the beginning of a little rebel. The following year I could count the days I went to class on one hand.
So yes. This movie evokes many memories.
Love.
xxx




No comments:

Post a Comment