Friday, April 8, 2011

I never wish to be parted from you from this day forth.

No matter how early I have to get up for work- I have to allow myself at least an hour to get ready.
If I am up early, chances are I have to hit the ground running on set and I won't have a chance to settle into the day. So that hour in the morning is precious to me. What do I do in that hour? I make a cup of tea, wash my face, get back into bed and watch a movie. Not a whole movie obviously. One movie can go for a whole week and I will just catch half hour increments of it while I paint my lashes.
Generally I will just watch old movies that I have already seen that I know will give me some sort of reprieve from what can only be described as a generally anxious morning demeanor.
This last week I was particularly stressed. I began the first week of shooting only the second feature film I have designed myself.
I turned to one of my guilty pleasures.  My Pal Beth describes this genre as a 'sexy bonnet' movie (although she is not a fan of Austen films). Pride and Predjudice.
I've spoken in the past about the BBC version with the divine Colin Firth. This one stars one of my least favourite actresses Keira Knightly. She pouts her way through many a film but for some reason I think she perfectly suits the role of Elizabeth Bennet. Matthew Macfadyen plays the irresistable Mr Darcy.
It was clear this week, that I was both slightly delerious and slightly fragile. I can't tell you how many times I got teary over this film. They weren't tears of sadness. I just felt overwhelmed by the scope of the landscapes and the music. Do I sound like a lunatic? Possibly. You will know what I mean when you watch it. Remember Lizzie Bennet standing on the edge of a cliff top over looking the misty romantic English countryside?  It is such a beautifully shot film and the scenery adds to the romanticism.
But everything made me teary. Her love for Mr Darcy (so evident from the first meeting), her love for her Father (heartbreakingly good Donald Sutherland), the piano playing, everything!
I guess it reminds me of those times in my life that I have stood somewhere breathtakingly beautiful and been swept up in world. You know those moments when you look out at the world and your heart just bursts with possibilities? I'm rambling AGAIN.
This movies makes me feel like that. It hit those nerves in me and my head and heart went off in a million directions.
Favourite scenes (Spoiler alert if you haven't seen/read it:)
Lizzie takes a walk at dawn across a misty moor. She is heartbroken upon realising she does infact love Mr Darcy who she so cruelly turned down. She sees him in the distance. They can hardly speak and he says:
"I have to tell you. You have bewitched me body and soul and I love......I love.....I love you".
They don't even kiss. I LOVE it.
Ok I'm going to sleep.
I have so many films to write about....perhaps I will have a Pollywood morning.
Night night.





7 comments:

  1. Oh what a lovely read, you make me giggle so much.
    I love that everybody comes to work all fluffy, and you
    Walk in with your Bambi legs and lashes giving the shoot
    that glamerous edge! Xxx m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Polly! Congrats on the film! So exciting to hear that you are designing! You will totally rock it babe! Let me know when I can come by and say hello :) Might lend you a 'free' helping hand :) hehe. I loved this post. it was lovely to see you back on blogger again.

    xxoo Lynnette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Lovely Lynette. i would love to ctach up with you and talk all things film and cupcakes. I love to see your name pop up on Pollywood.xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you can see Lynette I am incredibly tired and delerious from filming...hence words spelt backwards.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. couldn't agree more. a perfect film. one I constantly go back to for those exact moments you talked about! (although I kept it a dorky little secret for quite some time...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading you from Argentina, just by chance... But you know, as you put words to the feeling when I see this movie I must write you something about this...
    "I guess it reminds me of those times in my life that I have stood somewhere breathtakingly beautiful and been swept up in world. You know those moments when you look out at the world and your heart just bursts with possibilities?"
    so, thank you for giving me a smile today.

    ReplyDelete