Thursday, April 21, 2011

J.C and Bunnies and chocolate and MOVIES


It's that time of year again.
JESUS MOVIE TIME
What is it about Jesus movies? I think they just remind me of my childhood. I don't have a religeous family. I don't spend Easter mourning the death of the Messiah. There is a part of me that likes the tradition of some denomination's Easters. I used to spend time with a family who celebrated Greek Easter (Jesusopoulis). We would walk around the block with candles and end up at greek church singing. Without feeling personally connected to it, I did enjoy being part of something so beautiful.
I guess the grandeur of J.C films always struck me. Ben Hur is without a doubt one of the biggest spectacles in film history. I remember so clearly how wowed I was with the Chariot race. It's common knowledge someone actually died shooting that race. Yes you can see it and yes it's awful.

Without any belief system in place the fact is there was a man called Jesus who lived in a time where the punishment for hirachy was crucifiction and that left a huge mark on me when I was little. I remember being fascinated by it. I couldnt believe they nailed people to a cross and left them to die.  I wasn't allowed to watch many grown up movies. I was allowed to watch Eatser movies so these scenes were without a doubt the most full on thing I had ever seen.

Have you seen The Passion Of Christ? I got a migrane watching that film. I sobbed. To think human beings could be so utterly cruel. Mel Gibson never shys away from brutalilty (Apocolypto!!!). His portrayal of the last hours of Jesus' life are more graphic and horrible than any horror movie.

I won't retell in detail my Jesus of Nazareth story. I've told it many times. Safe to say I'm still wounded by the fact no one in my family warned me that he died in the end (I was 6) and I howled for hours.

My rad pal Babz brought up an interesting fact. Do we love Jesus movies because Jesus was the ultimate babe? HA! That made me laugh out loud. I do love hairy men!
Well Happy Easter everyone. Catch a J.C flick. He's an upstanding dude.

Oh and Last Temptation Of Christ....Scorsese does J.C with Willem Dafoe. Ahhhhh it's so great.
And remember.....The Christian faith makes complete sense:
Lets eat easter eggs in the shape of bunny rabbits to celebrate a carpenter that died and then became a zombie.
xxxxx
p

Jesus Of Nazareth: Babe
The Passion Of Christ: Babe
Last Tempatation: Babe


No comments:

Post a Comment