Wednesday, April 27, 2011

I salute you Bertie.

I saw this film a while ago at the theatre and saw it again on the wkend. I realised I hadn't written up a review. I write about all the films I dislike so vehemently, sometimes I forget to write about the lovely ones.

The King's Speech is beautifully shot, subtly acted and so perfectly cast. I haven't enjoyed a collaboration so much in a long time. It stars Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter and Guy Pearce.

The King's speech tells the true story of King George the lV. Albert 'Bertie' George ascended to the throne after his Brother Edward advocated to marry an twice divorced American.

Albert (Colin Firth) suffers from a debilitating Stammer. His loving wife (Helena Bonham Carter) hires a Perth born elocutionist, Lionel Logue, to help him manage his public speeches and overcome his stutter.
I dare say this film doesn't put a foot wrong.
The cast are sublimely cohesive. Albert and Elizabeth's love and dedication to each other is portrayed with such a subtle honestly. No one 'out acts' each other- each player taking up no more space than they need too. Only true professionals know not to steal a scene and just play off one another. it's a joy to watch.

It's a shame Geoffrey Rush was up against Christian Bale's performance in The fighter at all the awards shows. His warmth and genuine belief in Prince Albert is so human and infectious.

As for Colin Firth....all his accolades are so whole heartedly deserved.

I also thought the art direction was really original. One would assume Lionel's office would be a rambling cavern of literature with mulitple surfaces and textures that mirrired his theatrical tendancies. Instead the cast were often set against a solitary wall that looked like one of Monet's pools. It was so simple and almost quite modern. I loved it.

Sometimes it is nice to see a movie that just makes you smile. This film fills your heart with good will and joy. You are behind Albert every step of the way. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment