Friday, April 29, 2011

I do. (Like some awfully silly things)

It's the Royal Wedding tonight.
There is a little part of me that can't help but get caught up in the fact Kate is an 'ordinary girl' who will now become a Princess. Even the word 'princess' is so truly  fantastical and lovely.
Looking at her dress (which is classic and beautiful)- I can't help but think of the dress I told my Mum I wanted to get married in.
It's a bit of a running Joke with my Mum and I. Despite the fact for years I swore I wouldn't marry- I have always secretly seen dresses I'd love to wear. Often these dresses appear in movies.
The first dress, my Mum reminded me of just recently. I was 10 when I told her I wanted to get married in this:
Ha ha ha. It's from the movie Coming To America with Eddie Murphy. Isn't it AWFUL!!!
The next one that I remember is this:
I loved The Princes' Bride and everything Buttercup wore. I remember thinking this dress would look amazing with  hood, walking down the isle??. Not really a wedding dress though Polly!
In my later years I sent Mum a few more classical pics. The ultimate movie star Grace Kelly was an angelic bride and I remember loving her dress for a while:

I then went through my teenage years being arty farty and watching lots of foreign films. The following dresses were shown to my Mum: La Reine Margot:
I even wanted to get married in this (???) (Rebelling/Kurt Cobain years)
I then became quite obsessed with Karma Sutra (THE FILM!!!). It's such an awful film but as a teen I thought it was absolutely beautiful. Years later I worked with Ramon Tikaram who starred in it and I had to confess my love for him and tell him how obsessed I was. (What a dork I am).
I then wanted to get married in a Sari. I still like this idea. Typically it seemed the Sari I had in mind was some saucy version.
In later years I think I improved. I've always loved Penelope Cruz. I'm not a fan of her English speaking films but with any love for Almodovar, you have to love his muse. I kept this picture floating around for a while. Mum liked this one:
I sent Mum a new one just last week. Mum mentioned it's wedding dress number 5849394878494.
This one makes more sense than any really. While it isn't from a film....it is inspired by Black Swan and is worn by actress Mila Kunis. As you all know my childhood and adulthood obsession has always been Ballet. Mila recently wore a this dress on the cover of L.A weekly.
It would make sense that my ultimate dress encompasses all that I love. To me Ballet (like movies) opens a door in my heart. It fills me with love and reminds me never to stop being passionate.
I'm not sure how many more dresses I'll send my Mum. Considering I'm currently in love with Katy Perry- it could be a latex jumpsuit any day now.

No comments:

Post a Comment