Saturday, April 16, 2011

Beef with Ham on the side.

WOW.

It was worth the wait.
I finally got to see The Expendables.
It delivered on so many levels. I shall put it in List form:

Sylvestor Stallone. This Man is the action star of action stars (Sorry Arnie...you dooshed out with the whole Governator thing). Plus Sly wrote and directed Rocky which is a flawless script. It is people. Many people try and over complicate the simple idea of Rocky. He is an underdog who battles the odds and comes out on top. What Sly adds to that film is heart. And love. Don't believe me? Watch it again....1000's of films have tried to copy it's simple structure and failed. And I love grey tracksuits.
Don't get me wrong. This movie isn't Rocky. This movie is a giant Salami sandwich.

Mickey Rourke is in it. EVEN in a dumb (rad) movie like this, he manages to be weighty and dark. He cries in it. And he looks amazing. Is it wrong that I think that? He's like a beat up piece of metal and I love him. Sly and Mickey's scenes together are excellent.
Randy Couture is in it. He is a UFC fighter. Yep.
Bruce Willis is in it. Yep.
Jet Li is in it. He is amazing. His fight scenes are absolutely incredible.
And my little buddy Jason is in it. I can still see all his costume quirks and know he picked out his entire wardrobe down to the necklace.
Highlights:
Sly running for the sea plane and diving for the side door while Jason flies away. It made me giggle out loud.
Jason ON the sea plane shooting a gun at the soldiers miles away on the ground.
Randy Couture punching a baddie in the face while the baddie is on fire.
Eric Roberts as the bad dude. I love that guy.
Token spanish looking hot babe with gypsy top and espadriles. (She reminded me of Kathleen Turner at the end of Romancing The Stone.
They are doing a sequel.
Thank you action god. Thank you.




2 comments:

  1. Dude did I tell you that I worked with Eric Roberts in Pittsburgh? He was the lead mobster, there are pics of me with him that I posted on FB. Will tell you all about it when I see you next x P.S I think it's hilarious that a film nerd like you, likes movies like this. Totes brill.

    ReplyDelete