Saturday, February 19, 2011

Sunday Love

We planned Sunday.
The plan went as follows: Invite friends over. Cook excellent food including meat on a spit. Take TV outside into the garden. Watch movies all day.
Some excellent films were watched, all old favourites and all not too challenging for a Sunday brain.
First up was Spinal Tap. This movie just doesn't get old for me. I could watch it for the costumes alone.
Next we watched The Princess Bride. There was one amongst us who had never seen it before so Beth and I tried very hard not to quote every single line in the film. We did decide to take a sip of our vodka soda's every time Vizzini said 'inconceivable' but he exits the movie a little too soon for that to be effective.
Every character in The Princess Bride is brilliant. I particularly love the sword fight between Inigo Montoya and Westley. I also am always reminded of how I used to want to get married in the red cloak dress buttercup wears. How ridiculous.
Next up was Beetle juice. It's hard to concentrate for hours on end when there are people to chat to and food to eat so I must admit, Beetlejuice received only half of my attention. Not to say I don't love it. It's such an insight into what's to come for Mr Burton. His aesthetic has never changed and is so undeniably unique. It also reminded me how under used Michael Keaton has been. He made a good (not great) Batman and really hasn't done much for me since.
"Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice."
Last up was Pointbreak. Pointbreak was perfect for this hour. It was now dark, the blankets had come out and the Vodka had turned into cider. There was a lot of talking over it but I managed to just catch Anthony Kiedis' "That may be a waste of time" and Keanu's "He's....not....coming....back....". I was happy. It made me miss Patrick Swayze. He made Byron bay hemp pants look good in this film.
What a great day. I went to bed happy.... (and watched.......more movies).





No comments:

Post a Comment