Friday, February 11, 2011

I forgot about these gems.

I'm going to keep this simple. Have you seen the following three films by artist and director Julian Schnabel? They are three of my favourites. I am also looking forward. to seeing his upcoming release Miral starring Freida Pinto (beautiful girl in the boring Slumdog Millionaire). I wrote the blog entry: 'Mixing it up' about artists and photographers who move into the world of film. Julien Schnabel is someone I forgot to mention and was pointed out in my lovely comments section.

Basquiat documents the explosive but brief artistic career of Jean Michel Basquiat. His street smart art captured the heart of the infamous Andy Warhol and they went on to create some radical pieces together. Jeffery Wright is amazing as Basquiat and Gary Oldman stars as Julien Scnabel himself.

Before Night Falls is based on the autobiography by Reinaldo Arenas. Reinaldo was an openly gay poet who struggled to express himself both artisitically and sexually in a strictly communist 70's Cuba. Javier Bardem is (of course) amazing and Johnny depp makes a great cross dresser.

The Diving Bell and The Butterfly (Le Scaphandre et le Papillon) is an incredible film based on the true story of Jean Dominique Bauby. Jean-Dominique was the editor of French Elle magazine. He suffered a stroke and was left paralysed, speechless and only being able to move his left eyelid. Sounds ridiculous, I know but his story is completely inspiring. I won't say anything more....just make sure you add these three to your list. I want to watch them all now.....in a row.








No comments:

Post a Comment