Saturday, February 26, 2011

Bit of a ramble ramble.

Today I either feel like watching some old favourites: Hilary And Jackie or Breaking The Waves.
Both star the oh so lovely Emily Watson.
Hilary And Jackie tells the true story of the incredible Cellist Jacqueline Du Pre and her debilitating battle with multiple sclerosis.
Emily Watson always manages to play such incredibly powerful roles with a very unique child-like quality. Jacqueline Du Pre was notoriously difficult. Here, you see how both her family and her awful disease would have contributed to this.
She was quite easily the best cellist that ever lived. I love the cello.
For me, the violin is often too flowery and I much prefer listening to cello pieces. Jacqueline's most famous piece was Elgar's concerto in E minor. It is absolutely beautiful. I used to drive around Mum's car in Wellington listening to it and conjuring up storms that would sweep me away.

Another incredible performance by Emily is in Lars Von Trier's harrowing Breaking The Waves.
I remember I went to see it with my Mum at the paramount theatre. As we were waling in, my Uncle Paddy and his wife Madeline were walking out.  Madeline was an absolute mess and looked like she might pass out. I was quite nervous to see what made her so upset. Two hours later I  walked out in a very similar state. Breaking The Waves is Lars Von Trier at his best. I don't think he's ever matched that film. He does manage to take his female leads to a place I dare say none would ever go again. After Bjork starred in his pic Dancer In The Dark, she swore off acting for life.
My bestie Sarah and I watched Dancer about 8 years ago in our flat in Nicholson street. I remember our other flatmates getting home and thinking someone had died. Sarah and I were on the floor sobbing our eyes out! Isn't it great when a film does that to you. (Or am I just a sucker for tears?)
Below are a few clips of both Hilary and Jackie and Breaking The Waves and also a clip of the real Jacqueline playing that piece.


No comments:

Post a Comment