Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Kids Are Alright....but the Mom's are overacting.

The Kids Are Alright.
This film was recommended to me by a number of people. I was interested in seeing it as the cast is made up of some of my favourite actors.
Both Annette Benning and Julianne Moore are flawless in nearly all their films. Mia Wasikowska holds a special place in my heart as she was one of the first people I worked with and such a treasure. Finally Mark Ruffallo stars and he is still someone I think is largely undervalued in hollywood and is yet to find a role worthy of his talents.
The Kids Are Alright is about a family of four: Benning and Moore are married and have both Mothered a child by sperm donation. They live a perfectly normal life and it is this that you are reminded of every step of the way.....until a man arrives.
I was annoyed from the outset. Do I have a right to be? I'm not gay so I don't know if it was offensive across the board. For for me, it just felt so forced, so cliched and so overacted. Why does Julianne Moore have to lower her voice register and sound like a man? Why does Annette Benning have to dress like Ellen? Why can't people play gay people without both forcing the stereotypes AND playing against them so obviously? Why when in so many other roles they are somewhat themselves do they feel the need to completely transform their voices etc?
I found the children really natural and lovely to watch and their complete unaffected attitudes towards their same sex parents felt far more real to me.
But what really really irked me was something that was pointed out to me before I saw it. Mark Ruffalo is quite simply the bad penis!
Ruffalo plays the kids' sperm donor. Mia's character turns eighteen and with her brother decides to track down her donor Dad and get to know him.
All goes well until  Ruffalo's laconic charm brings already formed cracks to the surface. An affair ensues and the family is driven apart.
When everything comes out in the open, Mark is hastily banished from the family circle. Understandably the children would find it hard to accept what he did but it really felt to me like the females could do no wrong and he was this evil 'Man' who came in and recked everything with his penis! It takes 2 to tango.
I'm sure many people will disagree with me. But this film did nothing to dispel the notion that Lesbians are essentially man haters.
Ahhhhh I could go on. I did not like it. Not one bit.



No comments:

Post a Comment