Thursday, March 3, 2011

The skin around your nails

I tend to get caught up in things. I get very excited about an upcoming film and build it up, sometimes to my detriment. If I know one of my favourite directors or actors is starring in an upcoming release I look at every interview, every article until I've exhausted every bit of information.
If a film comes out that also feeds one of my  life obsessions then I'm in real trouble.
Along came Black Swan. Firstly, second to Pedro, I think Darren Aronofsky may be one of my favourite directors. Requiem For A Dream and The Wrestler are up there with my favourite films of all time.
Secondly Vincent Cassel (who has a very minor role as it turns out) is also a favourite actor.
Finally it's about ballet dancers. My soul aches when I think of ballet. I truly love the path my career is on but jeepers I sometimes wish I was a ballet dancer. For me, it is an expression of art, beauty and love that I can only imagine portraying.
The one reservation I had about Black Swan was Natalie Portman. While I think Natalie is an intensely intelligent and beautiful young woman, I have not connected with many of her roles.
She was exceptional in The Professional but beyond that, I wasn't so sure. She harnessed some sort of her intensity in the film Closer but again that related more to her beauty than her skill as an actress.
In Black Swan. I think Natalie came into her own.
Leonardo Dicaprio went through a weirdly awkward phase where he was neither boy or man. I feel Natalie was the same.
She is now a woman.
Black Swan's story is simple: A ballerina's obsession with gaining and perfecting the coveted role of the white/black swan.
While watching it I felt like someone had pinched my arm and continued to twist and twist until the pain was unbearable.
Black Swan, for me, was a visceral, obsessive, sexually charged  melo-drama. It hurtled me into a definite heightened view of ballet and it's pitfalls and let me live out one human's obsession to the point of self harm.
Natalie's performance was brilliant. What was real, what was fantasy? Does it really matter? I usually pick a film apart but this time I just let it visually wash over me.
Every part of me reacted to this film: My heart, my soul, my head and my groin.
See this film.






No comments:

Post a Comment