Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Oh Mr Darcy.

Colin Firth is the toast of the town with his win for the beautiful The King's Speech. As I watched him so humbly accept his academy award, I thought back to all the roles I've loved him in. He is the epitomy of english grace and reserve. While many people (females) are a fan of the bumbling brit Hugh Grant, I am more a fan of this british gem. His filmography may not be gritty and challenging but he adds an air of grace, depth and intelligence to even the most soapy of roles.
There are a few guilty pleasures in his filmography. Namely Brdiget Jone's Diary and Love Actually. I like these films. I'm sorry I do. I'll write about 10 more foreign, art-house films to win you back but honestly: I love a brit comedy romance. I love them. Colin's name in Briget Jones is Mark Darcy. Oh Mark Darcy, oh glee, oh wit; Such a silly nod to his excellent portrayal of Mr Darcy in BBC's BEST Pride And Prejudice. Have you seen it? Please do. I have rambled about Colin in A Single Man already. His portrayal of grief and love is so delicate and restrained. It pinched my heart.
I am so happy the big comglomerate that is hollywood is finally recognising such a great british actor.



No comments:

Post a Comment