Thursday, January 13, 2011

Mr Darcy did it again!....now for The King's Speech.

Sometimes I think my heart and mind invite a film to let me get a little carried away. 
I almost will myself to feel the way I want and prepare myself to really get soaked up in a drama and it's characters.

I feel so deeply and bitterly disappointed when a film doesn't deliver. 
I have even seen films for a second time when it wasn't so built up in my heart and realised that my expectations were too great. 
Sometimes, of course, I just want to watch something silly  but for me, I think my emotional outlet is film. It allows me to feel so much.

I have always been like this. Many times in this blog I have mentioned how obsessed I was with Romeo and Juliet as a teenager. I think it started there and hasn't ever stopped. 
I crave that feeling an amazing film arouses in me.
I feel such a connection with a character's joy or pain and it allows me to in turn feel my own joy or pain. 

Tonight My Mum and I watched a simply sublime film: A Single Man by Tom Ford.
I have been meaning to see this film for a long time. I actually sat down to watch it over a year ago but I remember I just wasn't in the right mood and shortly turned it off.  I did have a box of about 100 unwatched academy nominated films in front of me and I was greedy to see them all.

For most, I would imagine this film would satisfy people visually. 
But it's subtle love story may get lost on people expecting some grand story with major plot developments. The journey here is slight but for me that is real life.  
The lead character's loss and heartache is monumental but the way Tom Ford lets it unfold is honestly paced and without any melodrama.

A single Man follows a day in the life of George(Colin Firth). We soon learn that George lost the love of his life Jim in a car accident and feels he has little left to live for. It unfolds that George doesn't plan to live for much longer. He interrupts his usual daily routine with little preparatory tasks like organising a gun to shoot himself with. 
It's morbid and yet his pain is so heartbreaking that you almost understand his choice.

Along the way we meet various beautiful creatures who somehow touch his life and warm his heart just when he's given up on it all.

Every shot is lit with such delicate precision that it seems everyone but George is bathed in a warm glow of sunshine while he hides in a shadow.
Every glass, every sideboard, every pen, every walnut dashboard is so perfectly designed and yet it isn't corny or even over stylised. It all fits. 

The cast are impeccable. Julianne Moore is divine as his elegantly dishevelled pal and Nicholas Hoult is perfectly cast as a young Man who sees a kindred soul and also a man in trouble.

The costumes make me want to be in the film. I can't fault them

If you haven't seen this film, do so and let it wash over you like it did me. This is a love story I won't soon forget.
xxx




No comments:

Post a Comment