Saturday, December 25, 2010

AMO AMOR

They are finally making one of my favourite books 'On The Road' into a movie. I have mixed feelings about this. I read Jack Kerouac's On The road in my early twenties and loved it. It affected me in a way all good books should. It planted a seed in my soul.  The gypsy in me wanted to follow in Jack's footsteps and travel everywhere and anywhere. Kerouac's writing style founded the beat generation. You could describe it as literary jazz or spontaneous prose. I even have a tattoo that was inspired by this book (though I often just claim it as my own idea). There's a section in the book where Jack begins to question his nomadic lifestyle. He decides to settle down on the border of Mexico. He meets a beautiful mexican girl and tries for a normal life. Although it ultimately doesn't work out he experiences love and happiness. In a moment of confusion and doubt he asks his mexican lover 'What do you love'? "I LOVE LOVE" she replies. I remember when I read that line my heart skipped a beat. Michael had already read the book and said 'I knew you'd love that bit'. And I did. I love love. Oh I do. it's so cheesy to say but love is everything isn't it. Not just romantic love...love of family, love of life, and the love you feel in your soul. When I think about all the things I want to do, all the people I know and all the love I have to give, I look at my tattoo and think of that mexican girl in 1950's america. She loves love. And so do I.

No comments:

Post a Comment