Thursday, December 16, 2010

*(&($*(£$*&(&@)&$)&NERD$(£*&$)&$)(&@)($*)@(

There's something very important I realised when I saw this movie. The world is divided into 2 categories Nerds and Non- Nerds. This movie will make that divide very very clear. Nerds will like this A lot. I liked it....A LOT.
Now with most nerd things I like, I go into the film with a catalogue of knowledge and background. With Tron I am very much a historical novice. I knew it was based on a game but that is it. I had no idea there was a film TRON made in 1982 that also starred Jeff Bridges. I also didn't know just how popular it was. All I knew is the preview looked pretty radical. The thought of seeing something so fantastical in 3D at IMAX was too good for me to miss.
Now I'm not a fan of 3D most of the time. The thing is, I like 3D when the world is completely outside of my reality. Avatar was great in 3D. But I don't like it when some scenes are just shot in 3D to add to an otherwise ordinary world. I find it distracting and unnecessary. The world of Tron is completely suited to it.
Tron is about a kid Sam Flynn who discovers that his long missing Dad has created a digital universe that exists through a portal that you enter in a video game arcade. Sam's father has been missing for 20 years.  When Sam accidentally enters the portal and finds himself in the world his Dad created he is faced with 2 versions of his Father and the challenge: survive the game and get home. What ensues is a fast paced super duper hand clapping exciting world that can only be seen to be believed.  The electro frisbee fights are super! Ohhhhh and the AMAZING motorcycle speed races..wow!
It's very cheesy. But in a film like this, I turn my nerd dial up and my cheese intolerance right down. I love to get swept up in imaginary worlds. Tron makes you feel like you are in a video game.
 Jeff bridges digitally de-aged face is at times quite strange to look at but in this completely ridiculous world, it still worked for me. There were glimpses of Bridges infamous 'Dude' character too. it made me wonder if he was secretly doing a nod to Lebowski.
Hilarious  mini role by Michael Sheen as a sort of white haired Nick Cave type riddler. What roles Michael is getting these days!
See this if you are nerd.
Don't even bother if nerd blood doesn't run through your veins.
Nerd out.

No comments:

Post a Comment