Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Deck the halls with bells of Polly.

Christmas time makes me think of one thing.....CHRISTMAS MOVIES. Despite being a bit of a Grinch at Christmas, I do love Xmas movies. I love them!!! They are so bad that they are good.
One of my favourites is 'The Santa Claus'. Ha ha it is so terrible. Another one I love is Jingle All The Way with Arnie and Sinbad! I know! Awful! Jingle all the way's entire premise is 2 dads fighting over getting the must have Xmas toy 'Turbo man'.  And that's it. For 2 hours!
Aside from those embarrassing movie pics I also love 'It's A Wonderful life'. I watched it last year in London with the biggest It's A Wonderful Life fan and it was lovely. If you don't like that movie then you are not human.
Coupled with my love of Christmas movies is my love of Jesus movies and that also brings me to my director of choice today: Franco Zeffirelli. I will post another ramble about him after this as there are many movies you need to see if you haven't. He is the master. One of his best films is Jesus Of Nazareth.
I think this was actually a made for Tv movie. I remember seeing it when I was very very young. They played it over two nights around Christmas time. I cant remember my exact age- maybe 6 or 7 years old but I was not old enough to put all the pieces of the Jesus puzzle together. I must have known about Jesus because I remember telling my pal Jessica he wasn't real. A bit harsh yes but she had just blurted out that Father Christmas wasn't real so I hit back with the Jesus backhand. I was 5.
Anyhoo. I watched the first part of Jesus Of Nazareth and was just mesmerised by both him and his stories. Essentially Jesus was a fascinating man and with or without your beliefs, the story of his life is brilliant. The film did was long and on the second night finished quite late. My Mum was having a dinner party and I was allowed o stay up in her room and watch my Jesus film. I have such a vivid memory of watching the ending. I remember walking out of Mum's room howling. I was hysterical. Mum asked me what was wrong and I screamed "THEY ......KILLED............. HIM WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH". Perhaps Mum didn't think about the actual trauma one might feel when seeing this lovely man be tortured after 4 hours of being nice to everyone.
I have since seen this movie and love it still. So yes. Christmas movies and Jesus movies go hand in hand for me.
Fingers crossed they play some goodies this year.
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment