Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I am bored.

I am Love
Director: Luca Guadagnino
Starring: Tilda Swinton, Flavio Parenti, Marisa Berenton


I get so disappointed sometimes. I think it's my fault. I think I get carried away and imagine what I would like a film to be before I see it. 
The title of this movie 'I am Love' got me straight away. 'Ahhhhh' I thought....a movie about someone who encompasses love so totally that it takes over them and they are simply defined as 'love'....ohhh it sounds brilliant! I then saw the poster and thought it must be about a woman (Tilda Swinton) who IS love but is stifled and miserable. In many ways it is I guess. But I am Love is such a bizarre exercise in what I think is acute narcissism more so than love. Tilda Swinton fascinates me. I don't know if I love her or hate her. I sometimes flinch at the sight of her and find her androgynous confidence almost disarming. I also think she is beautiful. I loved her in Orlando. I despised her in The Beach (I despised that whole film. UGH). 
 I Am Love tells the story of the wealthy Recchi family, whose lives are undergoing sweeping changesEduardo Recchi owns a famous fashion house and it is time to pass his beloved company on. Much to the surprise of his family, he hands the reins to not only his son but also to his Grandson Edo. Tilda plays Edos's graceful mother Emma. Emma's life takes a turn when she falls quickly and deeply in love with Edo's friend and business partner Antonio, and embarks on a passionate love affair that changes her family forever. Oh even my description of it makes me excited for the film this could have been. But no. I came out bored and listless. I didn't feel for one single character- least of all Swinton who I was so ready to love. Her so called plight seemed more a chance to exert her sexual confidence and subject us to overly stylised, painfully self absorbed love scenes. 
I liked the food. I liked the macaroons. 
But  I didnt like I am Vain......I mean I am Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment