Saturday, September 4, 2010

Bring back Catherine Hardwicke.

Eclipse
Director: David Slade
Starring: Miss Pout and Mr Perfect.
Here's the thing. I like Twilight. I want to like Eclipse.
I have always loved getting caught up in a series. I remember the joy I felt reading the Harry Potter books.  I was so excited to see the films. Even though each Harry Potter film seems to be getting worse and worse I will still see it on the first day and I will still clap my hands rapidly when the Warner Brother's symbol flashes across the screen with some signature Potteresque twist. I wish I felt the same about the Twilight series.
I'm a kid at heart.  I truly feel like my love of all things 'make believe' is something that keeps me going. It fuels my soul. Twilight panders to this. It's cheesy, it's predictable and it's somewhat nauseating but it's also whimsical, romantic and quite beautiful. The books got me hooked pretty early on. I love vampires, always have. I could rant about how I have loved them for decades. I could claim that I am a bigger fan than any pre-pubescent Edward nerd. But I won't (I just did, I know). For the next generation the Twilight saga has a clever premise: Stephanie Meyer has brought the vampires down from their castles in Transylvania and hid them amongst us. It helps that they are absolutely beautiful.
So why aren't I happy? I want to come away from these filmswith the feeling  I get after a radical comic book flick. I want to punch the sky and clap my hands and crash my car into target or kmart where I can can buy the toy, drink bottle and backpack.
But these films just don't seem to totally get it! I enjoy them. But I don't love them. I always feel a slight taste of disappointment when I see Bella pout her way through another close up. And Edward is beginning to annoy me! What is happening? I LOVE Edward.
I enjoyed Eclipse more that New Moon. I don't want to talk about New Moon.
I think Taylor Lautiner is doing a decent job with Jacob. The more I see the Cullens, the more I think they are miscast. Rosalie isn't beautiful enough. Esme isn't fierce enough (I'm Tyra banks) and Alice's wig is just awful!
Am I picking apart a silly movie? Should I just skim over the cliches and enjoy it?
I'm really trying to.
God knows how they will go with the last book.

2 comments:

  1. OMG! Where to begin with Twilight. I think I prefer HP to Twilight because 1. there is more action 2. better production value and effects and 3. well it's wizards, witches and all the good stuff like geeky teenagers and figuring it out as you go along.

    Casting in twilight has its issues. But I expected more from David Slade. And I was very disappointed in Bryce Dallas Howard. That being said, I do still enjoy the principal character's love triangle and well, still trying to decide if I prefer the pasty english guy with questionable teeth or the very well 'teethed' tanned, underage kid who is topless all the time. Decisions, decisions.

    I am curious about the 'sex' scene, birth scene and well turning into vampire scene in the final two - should make for interesting acting (shivering at the thought of Bella screaming again - the pain of new moon is resurfacing!!)

    How's that for my first comment as your follower :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant first comment and excellent observations. Yes HP just tweaks the little geek in me and the problem solver too. Despite my disappointment I will no doubt see the next two films on their release date and definitely can't wit to see how K-stew handles a birth scene. Can you pout your way through childbirth? I think I'm team Edward. ha ha. How old are we?

    ReplyDelete