Saturday, September 4, 2010

Ballet Teachers beware: If you are mean to a 5 year old you can change there destiny.

I'm looking forward to seeing Darren Aronofsky's latest film The Black Swan. Im not sure what I think of it so far. There are pros and cons:
Pros.
*It's Darren Aronofsky! His last film was The Wrestler and now he's making a film about ballet.
*It's about ballet. And we all know I still physically ache watching ballet and regret with ALL my heart that I am not a prima ballerina.
*Vincent Cassel is in it. I'm such a fan. I didn't really enjoy his last double feature Meserine but he is in some of my favourite films.
Cons.
*Natalie Portman. She most definitely looks the part. She is such a pretty thing. But I actually find her quite boring to watch. I think she looks very sweet and is probably a lovely person but I found her unbelievable in Closer, suitably cardboard in Star Wars and way too overwrought in Goya's Ghosts. She may be perfect for this role. Who knows.
*I'm also not a huge fan of Mila Kunis as a dramatic actress. She's adorable but her filmography includes Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Date Night,  Max Payne and Robot Chicken. I'm all for giving someone a go in a new genre but this may be a big jump for her.

Hopefully Natalie and Mila can pull it off. If anyone can squeeze a great performance out of an actor....Aronofsky can.



1 comment:

  1. I posted on my tumblr about this. Looks good. I love Natalie Portman and Vincent Cassell and I love Darren A.'s work. Should make for some interesting viewing.

    http://spyingwithmyeye.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete