Saturday, June 5, 2010

Dear Rusty. I know what you did. You brute.

Robin Hood
Director: Ridley Scott.
Starring: Rusty Crowe, Cate Blanchett, Mark Strong.

I have read some really interesting articles about this film and also worked with people in the UK who worked on it. This film had a lot of issues in pre production and now that I've seen it, it truely does reek of a troubled script.
It just didnt seem to know what it was. This movie was originally going to be a story about The Sheriff of Nottingham. After many many re-writes they decided to concentrate on how a soldier of England's battered army became Robin Hood. Russell Crowe is still so watchable. He is such an ARSE. I have heard some nightmare stories about him and would never want to work with him but I can watch any of his movies. Cate Blanchett shines as Maid Marion. That woman is a blessing to cinema. 90% of hollywood's actresses need to take a leaf out of her book. Her face moves! Her beauty is original and with that comes a subtlety and softness to her acting. I can't differentiate most other actresses style or facial expressions. She isnt afraid to be real and in this film she stood out for me. The chemistry between our two leads almost worked. They are strong personalities on and off the screen and I felt a mutual admiration. I bet she didnt take any of his shit. The battle scene at the beginning was great. Aside form that, I found myself checking my phone-not a good sign. It ended with me not really caring a whole bunch about what happens next. I dont think Ridley and Rusty can recreate the magic of Gladiator. Best move on boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment