Saturday, May 21, 2011

"Deidre Chambers......... What a coincidence." RIP Bill Hunter.x

A true Aussie legend left us today. Bill Hunter sadly passed away last night after battling cancer. He was 71.
Bill has been working as an actor in Australia since the late 1950's. He wasn't just part of our industry, he was our industry. You can not think of Australian film without one of Bill's classic roles popping into your head. His range of characters were both dramatic, comedic and quintessentially 'Aussie'.

I think the first film I saw him in was Gallipoli. In later years I went through a serious Aussie film phase and tried to watch as many as possible. Bill would pop up in every second film.

In the 90's Bill really stood out for me in some brilliant comedic roles,  namely: Muriel's wedding, Priscilla Queen Of The Desert and Strictly Ballroom. I loved his warmth and heart in Priscilla and thought his chemistry with Terence Stamp was excellent.

I always wanted to worked with Jack Thompson, and Bill Hunter. They are the 2 greats in my eyes.
I am blessed and lucky to say I got to work with them both. Like Jack, Bill comes with a huge legacy and he doesn't take any prisoners. I was told he's a cheeky buggar who "doesn't put up with any shit".
I get more nervous working with pros like Bill than any big time hollywood actor.
Bill was an absolute treasure, a cheeky monkey and very easy to work with.

Rest in peace Bill. You were a bloody ripper.

No comments:

Post a Comment