Tuesday, August 24, 2010

THIS......IS......$9.95!!!!!

300
Director: Zack Snyder
Gerard Butler, David Wenham, Dominic West, Michael Fassbender

I bought this film. It seems an odd one to buy really but sometimes I find myself in a DVD shop because A: I have burnt every bridge with every dvd rental facility and B: I feel impulsive and they are so cheap these days. So yes, I bought this & Metal Skin & Raging Bull. Rad. I love this film. How could you not love it? I was a fan of Sin City and was keen to see Frank Miller's next graphic novel brought to life. The film tells the story of the battle of Thermopylae. Led by King Leonidas, 300 Spartans defend their beloved Greece. An army of Persians led by the ridiculous King Xerxes (who is straight out of a Right Said Fred video clip) approach and plan to enslave all of Sparta and expand their Persian borders. Plot wise, that's it. And that's all we need people. The rest is just blood thirsty highly stylised and totally RAD fighting. I dare you to watch it without gritting your teeth once or making some sort of sound like OMFF or OUCH or YEAH! Michael Fassbender is a standout (in a sea of Abs) and David Wenham does Aussie proud (aside from a rather weak voiceover). I'm not a Gerard Butler fan but he does Leonidas well, I think he needs to drop romantic comedies and pop back into the gym. I like Zack Snyder and look forward to his future films. His other graphic novel adaptation The Watchmen was brilliant. I watched that in Budapest. It was dubbed inHungarian which was interesting. I'm sure i'll watch this again. It'd be a good one to pop on after a night out with a kebab. I'd also feel compelled to work that kebab off the next day with the '300 workout' which is completely brutal.

No comments:

Post a Comment