Saturday, April 10, 2010

Heart fills with foamy bubbles

Ponyo
Director: Hayao Miyazaki

This movie is pure Joy. Pure Joy. I cant say enough about it. My mind is spilling with beautiful bubbles and underwater treasures. Please see this movie. It will make you feel so good. It's so refreshing to watch something that isn't afraid to deviate from a simple linear tale and just take you on a visual trip. I cant even explain the beautiful world that is Ponyo only to say it is like nothing I've seen before. The amazing Spirited Away, Hayao Miyazaki 's previous jaw-dropper has similarities and is equally magical. Even so, Ponyo is one of a kind and cant really be compared.
Before I fell in love with costume, I used to want to be an animator. I have always loved children's films. The imagination is a powerful tool but it needs feeding and animation often fills my mind with blissful mind food. When I am at my happiest, I like to think I see the world through slightly child-like eyes and try to imagine whimsical things. I used to see bunnies bursting out of all manner things and more recently, I often catch bats melting into oil slicks on dark streets.
I love Pixar films and feel on a high for sometime after a session with James the Monster, or Kevin the Rainbow bird or Wall-E and Eve. Miyazaki goes beyond Pixar's solid storytelling and lets your mind flow into a world of rhythms and colours and bursts of utter joyful abandon.. See this movie. I want to be Ponyo: the goldfish who wants to be a girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment